We can’t do this alone – will you help?
ANIMAL PROTECTION SOCIETY of FRIDAY HARBOR is a private non-profit 501(c)(3) no-kill animal shelter serving San Juan Island. We opened in 1982 and since have provided dogs, cats and an occasional ‘other’ pet safe haven. In addition to providing a loving temporary home, we promote humane education; and combat pet overpopulation with an island based low-cost spay-neuter program.
Our work receives no financial support from the county; we depend entirely on the generosity of our donors.
For an in-depth look into the APSFH campaign for our new shelter, please download the ‘New Home, New Hope’ Booklet by clicking the image above:
TODAY’S REALITIES – why we need a new shelter
Time and island growth have rendered our current shelter inadequate to safely accommodate the ever increasing number of animals. As a result, future demands may not be met. The most critical issues impacting our abilities include the following points:
- Our lease with the Port of Friday Harbor expires in 2017.
- Critical isolation, quarantine, treatment and recovery areas for ill, injured and expecting animals are severely limited. The probability of contagion remains high for the general population of healthy animals.
- Additional costs and time loss are incurred when special medical procedures require off-site veterinarian office visits.
- Dogs and cats reside in adjoining quarters. Stress levels are high for both species due to the lack of adequate separation.
- Our small reception/ lobby area also serves as an animal intake area, animal visitations and pickup, a make-shift veterinary office, conference, board and staff meetings, kitchen and puppy and kitten housing.
- We are unable to provide adequate quarters for dogs brought in by the Sheriff’s Department that may require quarantine from the public.
- In case of emergency, our facility’s size severely limits the number of animals that may be admitted and given care.
- Current facility lacks in energy efficient building materials and systems driving utility costs extremely high.
TOMORROW’S PROMISE – our new shelter
State-of-the-art facility designed for animals and growth, incorporating highly durable, specialized materials and equipment.
- 5,413 sq. ft. facility on 4.9 acres (properly zoned) in close proximity to town.
- Safe,roomy animal housing with sound proofing and windows for visitor viewing
- Separated areas for dog and cat communities for reduced stress.
- Outside patios for each dog room and a specialized area for canine maternity and puppy socialization.
- Large communal areas with outdoor covered patios for cats and kittens.
- Large fenced grassy play area for canine training activities, socialization and playtime.
- Animal rooms features radiant floor heat,sound-proofing, antibacterial flooring, liquid impregnable walls,freshwater drip waterers and inside/outside sub-drainage.
- 12-14 times per day recycled air-exchange ventilation system for hygienic conditions especially for isolation and quarantine rooms.
- Specialized rooms: Veterinary examination, surgery and recovery area for in-house treatment and low cost spay and neuter; separate isolation and quarantine rooms for dogs and cats; receiving, adoption and bonding rooms and grooming area.
- Shelter design interconnects rooms and hallways for efficient personnel flow and skylights will maximize the use of natural lighting. Energy efficient solar thermal panels will assist domestic hot water in the winter and will provide hot water in summer.
- Radiant floor heat and extremely durable antibacterial flooring will be used throughout the facility.
Having presented our case for change, it is now that we need your help more than ever. On behalf of the animals who will be the direct and lasting beneficiaries of your generosity, we ask you to please contribute to our Capital Campaign.